Wednesday 1 December 2010

What happened to Dave's 'Fair Britain' line?


During the GE campaign, I made no secret of the fact that I had never supported the introduction of tuition fees for university students. I still find it shabby that a collection of people who obtained their degrees courtesy of the state, saw fit to deny generations of young people the same right. We all benefit from having a society with a depth of talent available to fulfil challenging roles.

I'm not happy that my daughters are now both burdened with a shadow of debt that stretches out ahead of them for many years. That's why despite the welcome news of the Assembly Govt's decision to protect Welsh students, I am deeply disappointed that for some young people in our nation, my daughters debts will soon look like chicken feed compared to theirs and worse still, a degree will become a matter of a postcode lottery. That can't be right and I wonder how it fits in with David Cameron's 500-day programme for turning Britain into a “strong and fair society”. If he ever truly meant that, he'd be having a re-think right now and do something positive to bring it about!


nick

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home