Wednesday 27 April 2011

If the wind changes, I won't



I'm grateful to the many people who have written to me regarding the proposals of windfarm sites in Montgomeryshire. I think it's important to re-iterate my thoughts on wind power. I attended the site in Abermule a couple of weeks ago and took Joyce Watson with me. We were horrified at the short distance involved when we walked to the proposed 'hub' site.

My immediate thought when I attended my first meeting of those opposed to the proposals in Middletown was that 35% property devaluations would mean negative equity for so many already struggling to get by with the state of our economy, higher VAT, highest fuel prices ever. That thought came thundering back in Abermule.

It's not a new 'line' for me to take, I said it plainly last year on the BBC Wales debate with Betsan Powys in Welshpool, when it certainly wasn't the popular thing to say. Wales has water on three of its sides and if we consider that Burbo Bank Offshore Wind Farm located on the Burbo Flats at the entrance to the Mersey produces on average enough electricity to supply 80,000 households, then it's the way to go. Offshore wind is more dependable too. It's windier at sea than onshore and most importantly, it devalues no-one's home. It's not a change of heart or a cynical attempt to win votes, it is the exact same opinion I had 12 months ago. It is the exact same opinion I will have in 2, 3 or 5 years time. It will not change to suit political party, vested interests or opinion polls.


nick

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home