Tuesday 2 December 2008

Lovely Continental Football

We were blessed with two 4-0 games on our visits to Belgian Jupiler league side KAA Gent's game at home to KSV Roeselare on Saturday evening and then Sparta Rotterdam's hosting of the then Dutch Eredivisie leaders NAC Breda.




Sorry it's a dodgy photo, but it was freezing!




Sunday afternoon in Rotterdam



Poor Breda could still be playing and they wouldn't score. They hit the woodwork 3 times and slipped from being joint leaders of the Eredivisie




I must make a special mention of one Rotterdammer who really stunned us with his kindness. On our arrival in the city, the GPS didn't have their Het Kasteel ground listed, so we ended up slightly lost. Stopping to ask for directions from a local walking his dog, we were amazed when he said 'It's complicated to get to, I'll take my car and you follow me' and then promptly walked to his car, got in and drove the 5kms to the main entrance of the ground and with a thumbs up drove off home. A remarkable gesture.


nick

2 Comments:

At 2 December 2008 at 12:25, Blogger Nich said...

Hello, I was just blog-hopping! I recently went to watch Ajax in Amsterdam, Dutch football is great. I'm not surprised by that act of kindness, I found the Dutch to be so friendly and helpful, even though my language skills were terrible!

Nich

 
At 2 December 2008 at 13:51, Blogger Nick Colbourne said...

Thanks

The Amsterdam Arena looks amazing from the outside, it must have been a special experience. Having been bitten by the Feyenoord bug I'm not sure I could bring myself to watch the home side and cheer them on!

nick

 

Post a Comment

<< Home