Friday 2 October 2009

The last Olympic Decision Day

Today’s Olympic decision in Copenhagen reminds me of 4 years ago when London’s bid was successful. We were on our way down to Biarritz and had stopped off at the Cite D’Europe for some groceries. I had made my way to the electrical department to watch the decision, but there was such a large crowd gathering to watch, I simply didn’t want to see their joyous celebration when Paris was chosen, so I left!

Our intention was to stay a couple nights with friends in Paris before heading south, and we nearing the capital before I could bring myself to switch the radio on and could just about make out Mike Parry on Talksport rejoicing in the decision.
It was only when we got to Paris that I appreciated the enormity of the decision. Every lamppost, every building, every advertising board seemed to have ‘Paris 2010’ posters and flags attached. It just didn’t seem to be the day to be in a UK registered car, log jammed on the Periphique.

The next day we went into the city. It was July 7th and the first shop I went into was the Marlboro clothing store on the Champs-Élysées. The salesman told me there had been London bombings and left me watching the store as he went next door to obtain the latest news from their television. Paris was also on terror alert, numerous bomb scares and a lot of sirens throughout the day, but I will never forget how the disappointment and disbelief of the previous day evaporated to be replaced by sympathy and concern.


nick

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home