Tuesday 9 December 2008

Sky really is the limit here on Treasure Island


Hmm…. Here’s a shocker, Sky TV in cha ching money grabbing scam! I know it’s difficult to believe that those awfully nice people who really only want to “help Wales make the most of the digital switchover” could possibly see the opportunity to make a quick buck, especially in these financially fraught times. Here’s the gist of what they’re up to.

The mark, that’s me and you, gets their leaflet through the door offering the wonders of digital television. That would be rubbish teletext, redundant VCRs and a freeze up of the picture in bad weather! See I know, I’ve already got digital. Well Sky have thought about that too and because they want to be so “helpful”, they can “upgrade” me to a Sky+ box so I can record “Shark Attack”, “Shark Island”, “Sharks do the funniest things” “When Sharks go bad” all the stuff on the H(itler) channel (History really is more than just WW2)…you get the drift. Normally that would cost existing customers £199, but as a special offer I can have it for £49. Only it isn’t that simple. In order to qualify for that offer I have to sign up for Multiroom at either £5 or more realistically to include sport & movies £10 per month. “Why would I want multiroom?” I asked the Scottish fellow at the Sky call centre, “one daughter’s in Australia and the other is in Cardiff.” “In that case it would be £199 to upgrade” was the scripted reply. Not very helpful.

Last year I asked my pal in California why he hadn’t got cable and ‘only’ received the free to air channels. “I don’t want to commit to $20 a month” was his reply. Here on Treasure Island, we’re already paying way over the odds for our service. Seems that isn’t enough and now the Golden Goose can lay another egg in the form of the equipment you use to receive that service.

So come on Sky, have a re-think about this ridiculous policy of existing subscribers and even those who live alone. Why would they want Multiroom? Stop being so damn greedy!


nick

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home