Thursday 2 October 2008

Here's a clue to the rise in Road Rage incidents


First up I have to admit I am anything but a petrolhead. I unashamedly drive an old style A class Mercedes. It don't do fast!

Yesterday we went down to Cardiff to see Sarah, but what a nightmare journey both ways. I thought we'd go down via the M5/M50 route, great idea until we passed Whitchurch and then at least 3 lots of road works with extensive queuing and that was before the M54. One lot even had the dreaded 'Convoy' system in operation, 10mph for miles though heaven knows why because there wasn't one single worker in the vicinity. That route just kept the misery up as the M50 was reduced to a 40mph contraflow with 'average speed' cameras out to compound the frustration. The queuing in Cardiff is simply soul destroying. I have the utmost sympathy for our citizens who live in London, Birmingham, Glasgow..........ah just enter the city/town of your choice!

Simply relieved to leave the city, on the homeward route I took a left turn at Ross on Wye and within minutes was held up at roadworks. Further along that route we suffered a very lengthy delay as a crew were out road marking at 10pm!

Today I needed to attend a Crossroads meeting in Wrexham. It's only 5 miles away. Roadworks at Marchwiel, roadworks at Hightown, roadworks in Ruthin Road. It took me 30 minutes! I can't be the only driver in this country who despairs at having to negotiate temporary traffic lights (God I hate Lux) just to find the only obstruction in the carriageway is......the equipment waiting to dig up the road!

Now I can almost hear the apologists from my local Council whining out the excuses. 'Oh Nick you're being a bit harsh here, the roads need repairing and at least we're doing the work'. Well how about building them properly in the first place instead of always opting for the cheapest tender. You know, like in the saying 'you pay peanuts etc'.

I'm not being 'holier than thou', but I have never had a speeding ticket. I drive within the speed limit because I feel it's safer and I've been to a lot of accidents to know how life shattering the consequences of excess speed can be. However, I would like to travel at my lawful speed in an unhindered manner. It isn't much to ask, is it? I paid £170 on Monday to tax my car. It doesn't seem much of a bargain!!


nick

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home